The newest installment of the Ghostbusters franchise will be here before you know it, but it seems like it won’t have a key component.
Sigourney Weaver, who starred in the original three Ghostbusters films, has stated in a new interview that she was not asked to return for Ghostbusters 4.
“No, I mean, I wasn’t asked to be in this Ghostbusters,” Weaver said in a new chat with Collider. “And I think, you know, a little of us goes a long way.”
Despite Weaver’s apparent absence, the majority of the Ghostbusters: Afterlife cast, including Mckenna Grace, Finn Wolfhard, Logan Kim, Celeste O’Connor, Carrie Coon, Paul Rudd, Ernie Hudson, and William Atherton, will return for the unnamed Ghostbusters 4. Kumail Nanjiani, Patton Oswalt, James Acaster, and Emily Alyn Lind are recent arrivals.
Jason Reitman will take over as producer instead of director of the movie, allowing Gil Kenan to helm it from a script they both co-wrote.
“A few years ago, my father handed me the keys to Ecto-1 and together we made Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Words will never express how grateful I am to have made a film with my father by my side,” Reitman previously said when announcing Kenan as director. ” It’s now time to hand those keys to my creative partner and fellow Ghostbuster Gil Kenan, a brilliant director who will keep the Spengler spirit alive. I can only hope to provide him the same producorial care and support that my father showed me.”
Along with the live-action sequel, Sony is also working on Reitman and Kenan’s animated Ghostbusters series that will air on Netflix as part of an expanding Ghostbusters Universe, as well as the previously announced animated Ghostbusters feature from Sony Pictures Animation, the studio behind the forthcoming Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and the Oscar-winning Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife is currently available on the Starz app, while Ghostbusters 4 is scheduled for release on December 20.